Monday, July 18, 2011

A quote and commentaries about friends and happiness


Find a friend. You won't be happy alone – happiness is a matter of two. (Pythagoras)

In my search for some great quotes about friendship and happiness I have stumbled upon one quote that can be described best from my own experience. Let's be honest – we learn and we get the most from our own mistakes and experience. I remember once getting the possibility to visit Italy for a few days. As I was working in a travel agency, the bus ticket was given free of charge, I just had to pay for a three nights stay in a youth hostel. Hard as I might tried, no one from my close friends or relatives was able to join me in this trip and all I could do was travel alone. The decision time was quite short, so without much consideration, I figured that I got nothing to loose, just gain – It's Italy, Rome and they are giving the ride for free!
After a few days I was already sitting in the bus and visualizing myself in front of the Colosseum or any other famous Roman building. The trip was quite OK, despite the two nights' sleep in the bus, and the disability of stretching my legs and washing in the shower.

Finally I was there – wonderful and old Rome, full of ancient times' silent heralds, which fascinate the tourists from all around the world. I had three days to admire the buildings and places of Rome, and armed with the more or less precise map, optimism and good mood, I marched into the old and inviting streets of the capital of Italy. I was really astounded by the beauty and greatness of architecture and the overall environment. Witnessing the Michelangelo's mind – blowing masterpiece of Sistine Chapel is something you won't forget for a very long time.
Despite all the awesomeness and greatness I had seen, I still felt there was something missing in my heart. Seeing all the wonderful things was truly amazing, but then there was no one beside me to share the joy that I had. I was alone and it really felt different this time. I was half happy – admiring the great things and hollow inside, since no one really shared that experience with me. There is a quote about relationship and friendship from a movie “Into the wild”. It says: “happiness is only real when shared”. It is true, indeed and it best described my emotions in the city of Rome. I was happy – and not so happy at the same time. If you are planning a long trip, I advice to travel with someone else, unless you are a loner and like spending your time alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment